Thursday, June 18, 2009

36 weeks down (4 to go?)

Well, it's been an interesting, surreal week, to say the least. I am 36 weeks pregnant today, but a few days ago, we thought that the baby was coming early! On Saturday we arrived at Thunder Lake Resort (up north) for a fishing trip with grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. But by Sunday night I was having contractions. Nothing too unbearable, but more than I was comfortable with. So John and I drove back to the Cities in the wee hours Monday morning to get checked out (leaving the kids asleep and in the capable hands of John's parents). We really thought we were about to have a baby! We were getting the names finalized and thinking through how we'd handle the next few weeks and what we needed to get out of storage to prepare for bringing the baby home.
But, as you now know, the baby did not come early. I spent several hours under observation at the hospital and the contractions stopped, thanks to a couple of shots of some drug I can't pronouce. And I've been at home been resting (read: watching TV, reading, and eating) ever since then. You could call it a "stay-cation," I guess. The kids are still up at the lake with their grandparents, and John's been back at work. But I'm actually getting kind of bored and it's just a little too quiet around here.
Anyway, I go in for what begins weekly prenatal checkups tomorrow afternoon. It will be interesting to see what the status of things are after these few days of resting. Then the children will descend up on our house again on Saturday, and I'll probably be wishing I hadn't complained about being bored. I should note that so far the kids haven't even hinted that they miss us... I'm not sure if I'm happy for sad about that!
Hopefully they're taking lots of cute pictures of the kids this week and we'll have some to post this weekend. Stay tuned!

No comments: